Cain: Bandits?
Oz: So it’s a fabrication of the living?
Nero: Yep. There was trace of human footsteps being erased in a deep part of the forest where no one crosses. The tree roots look like they were stepped on too.
Cain: I see. Very observant of you.
Nero: You can see the trace with some attention. It wasn’t hidden that well. So, that points to some bandit’s handiwork.
Arthur: Did you see the bandits in the forest?
Shino: No sign of them when we were there.
Nero: Maybe they only come to the Tranquil Forest at night, then go somewhere else to fence the stuffs they steal. According to what we heard, The Cruel Knight only shows up at night.
Cain: Nero, when do you think they’ll move next?
Nero: Tonight at the earliest. There’s something else though.
Nero tapped his lips with his fingers as he mused about something.
Nero: With this many victims around, ordinary bandits would likely be found out and there’d be an uproar about them already. But they haven’t been caught yet. There’s likely a wizard skilled in concealing the traces among the bandits.
Akira: (A wizard among the bandits, huh)
The atmosphere grew tense as Nero said that.
Riquet: We must capture them then.
Shino: Just as Riquet said. It doesn’t matter if they’re bandits or wizards. Let’s smash them all.
Faust: Don’t get carried away. Let’s consider how we can capture them first. If we clumsily charge in, we’ll be found out and they’ll get away.
Cain: Shall we erase our presence with magic and ambush them in the forest?
Arthur: No, there’s a wizard among the bandits. If we erase our presence with magic, maybe they’ll notice us.
Shino: In that case, let’s make it simple and lure the bandits with a bait. I’ll….
Riquet: Please let me be the bait!
Riquet volunteered with a grave face.
Shino: You? But you’re so weak though?
Riquet: I- I’m not weak! Thanks to Oz’ training, I can use many spells now.
Shino: Ah well, weak guys may indeed be better as bait though. The bandits will let their guard down.
Heathcliff: Shino, stop disrespecting Riquet like that!
Shino: That’s the truth though. Right, Oz?
Oz: The enemies will come for your life without mercy. Do you still want to take on that role?
Riquet: Yes, I too am a Sage’s Wizard. I have prepared myself to face any danger.
Cain: …..
Akira: (Weak guys are the most suitable to be bait. In that case…)
Akira: Excuse me, may I go with Riquet?
Riquet: Master Sage…
Akira: I’m just a human. The bandits will likely target me. I’d like to be of help in resolving the current problem too. Please let me do it!
In the troubled atmosphere, Cain was the first to nod.
Cain: I’ll leave it to you guys then. I trust that with your words and the determination you show, our plan will be run successfully.
Riquet: Of course! With Master Sage, we will definite attract the attention of the bandits and lure them to you.
Faust: Very well. You two must not do anything reckless though. Should something happen, call us right away.
Akira: We will. Thank you for worrying about us.
Oz: Vox nox
Akira – Riquet: Whoa?!
Suddenly, a strong light flared up from the clothes we were wearing in just a second. A faint warmth wrapped around us.
Akira: Oz, what kind of magic did you do?
Oz: I reinforced Chloe’s protective magic in the outfits. Like with the barrier, it will be effective even at night.
Akira: You can do that too! That’s cool!
Riquet: Thank you, Oz. Since you won’t be able to use magic in a short while, you too should be careful not to get hurt too.
Oz: …….
Arthur: No need to worry, Riquet. I’ll definitely protect Master Oz. Even so, please take my sword just in case something happens.
As Arthur held up his hand, a short sword appeared. He handed it to Oz with a soft smile.
Shino: Hey, you, do you know how to use it?
Oz: To an extent. I’m not that proficient in physical combat yet.
Faust: Somehow it feels strange to hear you talk about ‘physical combat’.
Nero: Even so, the most powerful wizard wielding a sword is probably not something to sneer at.
Shino: Nah, my great scythe is way cooler.
Heathcliff: Why are you trying to compete with Lord Oz anyway?
Thus we devised various plans to deal with the bandits, and waited for nightfall in the village.
[In the forest at night]
Riquet: Master Sage, the path is bumpy. Please be careful.
Akira: Thank you, Riquet.
It got later and later in the night, the time The Cruel Knight was said to appear. To lure the bandits to come out, Riquet and I walked in the densely grown Tranquil Forest, which was still completely quiet.
Akira: (Without Riquet’s lantern, this place would be pitch-dark such that we won’t be able to see anything. That feels a bit scary)
Riquet: Master Sage, I’ll hold your hand, so that we won’t get separated.
He held my hand with a little more force than usual. Riquet was probably scared too. To reassure Riquet, I squeezed his hand back.
Akira: Let’s do our best together, Riquet.
Riquet: Yes. Master Sage, I would like to resolve this case however I can.
Akira: Is it for Cain’s sake?
Riquet: Eh, how do you know?
Akira: Since we received this request, you often look at Cain. Besides, I feel the same way.
Riquet: I don’t like seeing Cain being sad when people speak harshly about Roland. Also every time they call a knight bad, I feel like they are saying Cain is bad too.
Riquet frowned worriedly as he looked at the trail winding in the night.
Previous part | Next part